Last week, the PB &J Cooking Classes at Boys and Girls Club worked to support the KeyStone Club’s Farmer’s Market initiative with the Local Food Hub. Teens in the KeyStone Club worked with the Local Food Hub to select, market and sell local (delicious) produce outside of the Club at pick up time.
Our Classes helped out by making samples and recipe cards for two of the vegetables for sale, so kids and parents could taste different ways of preparing the vegetables for sale. We chose green beans and potatoes, making spicy and sweet Asian green beans and roasted potatoes with homemade Tex-mex seasoning. Recipes and pictures below.
Stop by any Thursday after work to pick up some amazing fresh fruits and veggies and try the kids’ awesome samples. Next week: peach salsa.
Spicy Savory Green Beans
1 pound of green beans 1 teaspoon of sugar
3 cloves of minced garlic, tablespoon of oil
2 Tablespoons of water
2 Tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce
1.5 Tablespoons of hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon of chili garlic sauce (add more to make it spicier)
- Steam green beans for about 5 minutes over hot water.
- While they are steaming, in a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, cornstarch, chili garlic sauce, sugar, water and hoisin sauce. Set aside.
- Get a wok or pan heated on medium high, add the oil and minced garlic to the pan.
- When the oil is heated, add the green beans and the sauce for about 5 minutes until sauce is thickened and green beans are soft.
Tex-Mex Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.