|Court’s Chili Sweet Potato Shepard’s Pie|
Recipe type: Main Dish
- Sweet Potatoes:
- 2 ½ pounds sweet potatoes (4-5 potatoes), peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons orange zest + juice
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Turkey Mixture:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil.
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 large red onion, small dice
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapenos, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2-3 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- (2) 1” pieces of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground coriander
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2-3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- Sweet paprika, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the potatoes to a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Salt the water and cook until tender, about 12-15 minutes. Drain and return to hot pot. Add the zest, juice, butter, coconut milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mash and stir to combine.
- While potatoes are coming to a boil, heat a large pot with extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and brown. Add onions and cook, 2-3 minutes. Add carrots and jalapeno, sauté 3 minutes more. Add garlic, ginger and all spices. Cook for 5-8 minutes. Add tomato paste, cook 1 minute more. Add chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer a few minutes to thicken.
- Transfer chili to a casserole dish, spread the potatoes over top. Cover with sliced almonds and sprinkle with sweet paprika. Place in 375 degree oven until almonds brown, about 5 minutes.