|Skillet Penne with Creamy Tomato Sauce|
This recipe is a definite keeper. Takes weeknight pasta dinner to a very delicious place.
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium onion, small dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 each Italian turkey sausages, casings removed and crumbled.
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- ¼ cup of whatever creamy-ness you have on hand: half and half, heavy cream, Greek yogurt
- 1 bunch basil, chiffonade
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Bring large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-large skillet. Add sausage and cook until no pink is showing.
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Stir.
- Add garlic, cook 1 minute more.
- Add can of crushed tomatoes, stirring all ingredients together to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer.
- Season with salt and paper.
- Stir in creamy-ness and basil. Mix well.
- Add the pasta directly to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese.