Recipe type: Appetizer, Entree
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Our student Nabaa’s dad came in yesterday to teach us how to make REAL Falafel. WHAT. A. TREAT.
- 1 pound of dried chickpeas
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 bunch of parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon of falafel spice (found in any middle eastern market)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Oil, for frying
- Water on hand…
- Soak the chick peas in water overnight or for 10 hours. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a deep pot over medium high heat.
- Pulse the chickpeas, garlic, diced onion and parsley in a food processor to make a mixture with the texture about like that of couscous.
- Add the baking soda, falafel spice and salt, stir to combine.
- Test the oil, make sure it sizzles when water is added, but not too much, adjust heat as needed.
- Now make sure your falafel mix is the right texture– it should be not too thick, and not too light…adjust by adding small amounts of water to make a paste.
- Using a falafel maker or forming by hand into a ball, drop into the oil. Let cook until the outside is crisp and golden in color– about 3 minutes.
- Dry on a paper towel and serve immediately.