- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons steak seasoning blend (such as McCormicks brand Montreal seasoning)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ¼ pounds ground beef sirloin
- 1 medium onion, small dice
- 1 small red pepper, small dice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 crusty whole wheat rolls, toasted
- Combine brown sugar and steak seasoning in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add meat to the pan, breaking apart with a wooden spoon.
- Add sugar and spice mixture to the skillet mixing thoroughly with the meat.
- When the meat is browned, add onion and red peppers to the skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook onions, peppers, red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce with the meat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste to the pan, stirring until slightly caramelized, about 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook Sloppy Joe mixture 5 minutes longer.
- Using an ice cream scoop, pile Sloppy Joe mixture onto bun bottoms and cover with bun tops.