|Brown Rice Salad with Cumin and Orange Vinaigrette|
Recipe type: Salad
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon honey mustard
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ each onion, small chop
- ¼ pound turkey sausage meat
- 1 ½ cups long grain brown rice
- (1) 15 ounce cans garbanzo beans
- ½ each red peppers, diced
- 1 each celery, sliced
- 1 each carrots, sliced
- ¼ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine and whisk orange juice, red wine vinegar, honey mustard and cumin. Add salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add celery, carrots and red pepper. Sauté five minutes more. Increase heat to high, add turkey sausage.
- Cook, stirring frequently, breaking up any large lumps until meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Turn off heat. Cool rapidly.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, garbanzo beans, cooled sausage mixture, vinaigrette and chopped cilantro. Mix well. Adjust seasonings.