|Chicken Pozole Soup|
Recipe type: Soup
This simple but hearty soup is quickly becoming a favorite at PB &J. The kids love it, the parents love it, our families keep requesting it at home…It goes so fast the only picture I have is of my toddler eating it before it’s devoured. Can be easily be made vegetarian or vegan by omitting the chicken, switching the chicken stock for veggie and tailoring your garnishes. Enjoy!
- • 1 pound Chicken breasts, roasted and shredded
- • 1 tablespoon olive oil
- • 1/2 red onion, small dice
- • 3 garlic cloves, minced
- • 2 plum tomatoes, small dice
- • 6 cups low-salt chicken broth
- • 2 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- • 1 (28-ounce) can white hominy, drained
- • 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- • 1 tablespoon oregano (preferably Mexican)
- • 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- • Salt, to taste
- • Pepper, to taste
- • Shredded mild cheddar
- • Chopped fresh cilantro
- • Lime wedges
- • Whole wheat tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pat the chicken breasts dry and place them skin side up. Brush the chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle them liberally with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts, until the chicken is done. Cool. When cool, shred using hands. Reserve.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the diced fresh tomatoes and stir until softened, about 2 minutes longer. Stir in broth and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Add reserved chicken to the posole. Simmer for five minutes, uncovered. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide among bowls, garnish with shredded cheese, cilantro, and lime wedges, and serve with whole wheat tortillas.