Recipe type: Main
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, large dice
- 2 celery stalks, medium dice
- 2 carrots, small dice
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 12 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta, cooked according to instructions on box
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Using a 12 inch skillet, heat the olive oil.
- When almost smoking, add onion and cook over medium heat until the onions become very soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrot, cook for five minutes more. Add the garlic, cook for 1 additional minute.
- Increase heat to high, add ground turkey. Cook, stirring frequently, breaking up any large lumps until meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook 2-3 minutes longer until mixture is lightly caramelized.
- Add tomatoes, parsley and basil and cook over medium low heat until the sauce thickens, about 20-25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with grated parmesan cheese.