Recipe type: Entree, Grains and Pasta
Made this with our awesome Chef in Training Class at Boys and Girls Club on Cherry Ave. My favorite student comment about this recipe: “I’ve had that whole wheat pasta before and it was gross. THIS is really delicious and flavory.”
- 1 pound whole wheat rigatoni
- ½ pound Italian turkey sausage
- 1 onion, small dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup sparkling cider (non-alcoholic)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 12 cups kale, stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- ½ cup parmesan, grated
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta in salted water, drain, reserving 1 cup cooking water.
- Brown sausage in a skillet; reserve. Add onion, cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer.
- Add kale, sparkling cider and chicken stock; Simmer, 15 minutes.
- Stir in pasta, beans, lemon juice, sausage, cheese and ¾ cup cooking water.
- Season with salt and pepper. Top with extra cheese and lemon zest.