|Pizza Pasta Salad|
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 12 mins
Total time: 32 mins
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 each yellow squash, small dice
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 stick pepperoni, casing removed and cut into a small dice
- 1 pound ground Italian turkey sausage, casing removed and cooked
- 1 pound ball fresh mozzarella or fresh smoked mozzarella, diced
- 20 leaves fresh basil, torn or thinly sliced
- ½ bunch fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- 1 pound whole wheat wagon wheel pasta, cooked to al dente and cooled under cold water, then drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves or Italian dried seasoning
- 1 rounded tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a medium/large saute pan, add turkey sausage and cook, until no pink is showing.
- Combine tomatoes, onion, yellow squash, peppers, pepperoni (or cooked turkey sausage if using), mozzarella, basil and pasta in a big bowl.
- Whisk garlic salt, oregano or Italian seasoning, tomato paste and vinegar together.
- Stream in extra-virgin olive oil while continuing to whisk dressing.
- When oil is incorporated, pour dressing over pasta salad, add a few grinds of black pepper to the bowl, then toss salad to coat evenly. Adjust your seasonings and serve salad.
- Leftovers make a great lunch or snack the next day!