|Spiced Couscous and Chicken Salad|
Recipe type: Salad
- 1 pound chicken cooked, cooled and shredded
- ½ pound whole wheat couscous, cooked and cooled
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
- 2 each carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup raisin
- ½ bunch, cilantro, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Greek yogurt for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place sliced almonds on a sheet tray, toast until golden, about 9 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, sauté until soft, about 8 minutes. Add carrots, cook until soft, about 4 minutes more. Add garlic and raisins. Cook one additional minute. Remove from heat. Cool.
- In a small bowl combine orange juice, red wine vinegar, ground cumin, cinnamon, ginger, Dijon mustard, honey, salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked couscous, chicken and onion mixture. Add the vinaigrette and chopped cilantro. Mix well. Garnish with almonds and Greek yogurt.