|Summer Panzanella Salad|
A delicious adaptation of one of our favorite chef’s- Ina Garten- perfect fresh and easy summer meal or side dish! The kids loved it!
- For the Salad:
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 small whole wheat baguette or boule, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 red onion, cut in 1/2 and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch basil, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cubed bread in a large bowl. Toss with olive oil and salt. Spread evenly on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, about 5 minutes (watching closely!).
- For the vinaigrette, whisk all the ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, yellow pepper, red onion, basil, and capers. Add the bread cubes and toss with the vinaigrette. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Serve, or allow the salad to sit for about half an hour for the flavors to blend.