|Winter Sunset Soup|
For this year’s soup competition at the Buford Harvest Festival, Chef Courtenay’s after school garden class modified a class member’s squash soup recipe to come up with this AMAZING winner. People’s Choice award– WELL DONE!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium sweet onion, medium dice
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 ½ pounds local pork sausage, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- ½ tablespoon sweet paprika
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 (32 ounce) cartons chicken stock
- 2 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- ½ each local butternut squash, peeled, medium dice
- ½ each local delicata squash peeled, medium dice
- 2 each local sweet potato, peeled medium dice
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium-heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add parsnips, cook two minutes longer.
- Add sausage, cumin, coriander and sweet paprika, breaking up sausage with wooden spoon, until browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add orange juice and reduce until almost dry.
- Stir in the stock, tomatoes with green chilies, sweet potatoes and squash. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sweet potato and squash are fork tender, about twenty minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir in cilantro.