We are wrapping up National Nutrition Month here at PB&J. This year’s theme was “Go Further with Food,” which is a celebration of healthy choices that build ongoing energy throughout the day and also limit food waste. In honor of this, we had Make-Your-Own Omelette stations set up for our students in the kitchen last week. Omelettes are a great protein packed breakfast option, and also a creative way to use up some of your leftovers! Simply chop up any roasted veggies from last night’s dinner, add a little reduced-fat cheese and just like that you’ve got a healthy breakfast!
- 2 eggs
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- Non-stick cooking spray
TOPPINGS: turkey bacon, onions, spinach, diced tomato, reduced-fat shredded cheese, mushrooms, diced green pepper.
- Crack eggs into a bowl.
- Add salt and pepper, blending with a fork.
- Heat a 10-inch non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour eggs into center of pan. Using a rubber spatula or tilting the pan, move egg mixture around until the excess liquid touches each part of the pan. Let omelet sit in pan for 10 seconds without touching.
- Shake pan to loosen the omelet.
- Add toppings.
- Using your spatula, fold omelet in half.