Looking for something more healthful to sweeten up your sandwiches, toast, (or oatmeal)? Try our sumptuous strawberry jam!
Adapted from Epicurious
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 pint strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Wash strawberries and lemons.
- Cut green tops off of strawberries and cut strawberries into slices.
- Cut lemon in half and squeeze out lemon juice into a bowl. Place a mesh strainer over the bowl before squeezing the lemon to catch the seeds.
- Place a small saucepan on the stove over medium heat.
- Add sliced strawberries, ¼ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice to the pan.
- Bring mixture to a rolling boil. Stir frequently with a wooden spoon and mash the strawberries slightly with a potato masher.
- Turn the heat down to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Test jam by putting a teaspoon of jam on a plate and swirling the plate around gently. If the jam runs, cook for 2-5 minutes longer.
- Transfer jam to clean glass jars and cool. Refrigerate after completely cooled.